William W. Winfield and his wife Elizabeth Kay Winfield brought their family to Hunphrey Township in the District of Parry Sound around 1868. They settled lot 25 in the 9th and 10th Concessions at Port Cockburn. They had previously farmed at Vachell in Georgina Township. William and Elizabeth married in 1855.
William was born in England and was one of seven children. He and his family came to Canada in 1832. His father was John Winfield born c 1791 and his mother was Catherine Dunn Winfield born c 1800. William's brother and sisters are shown below:
1. James Winfield born 1821 m Mary RAE born 1816 lived in Sunderland.
2. Charles Winfield born 1822 m Mary KAY lived in Vachell.
3. George Winfield born 1825 m Catherine STEVENSON lived in Vachell
4. Julianne Winfield born 1828 m Henry SALABURY lived Georgina
5. Sarah Winfield born 1832 m James LYONS lived Georgina
6. Agnes Winfield born 1835 m George Henry THAYER lived Georgina
William and Elizabeth had nine children living on the farme in Hunphrey Township as confirmed by the census 1871 and 1881.
1. Mary Ann Winfield born 1858 m Henry James DRURY
2. Joseph Winfield born 1859
3. Martha Winfield born 1862
4. Sarah Corthen born 1864
5. Edith Winfield born 1866 m 1. CRONK 2.Sandy LELOWN
6. Elizabeth Winfield born 1867
7. William Winfield born 1875
8. Ellen Winfield born 1878
9. Frederick Winfield born 1881 died 1900 (19 yrs 4 mos)
William and Elizabeth lived to old age and are buried in Hillcrest Cemetery in Parry Sound.
At present considerable effort is being made to locate descendants of the Winfield children as a part of an extensive research program now in progress. We would like to update this family with names and addresses of the descendants to the present day. These efforts are being coordinated by Mr. Charles M. Coulter, 1736 Woods Drive, Arlington, Texas, 76010. Much information is available on request. We would hope as a result of this brief history, that enough descendants can be found to keep this family alive.