MPSGG
Muskoka, Parry Sound Genealogy Group

History of Parry Sound District

Chapman Township

St. Paul's Lutheran Cemetery

The Raaflaub family donated the land for this cemetery, but no deed or access road has ever been obtained. The members of the Lutheran Church are acting on this now. Outside the fence, one grave was made and the name is believed to be that of Sophia Heeshing. This was before a fence was erected but the location of this grave has not definitely been found.

Some 200 miles north of Toronto on the 520 Magnetawan Road is an old farm field shoulder high in grass. Away back in one corner is an old wooden archway and fenced in piece of ground less than one-quarter acre in size. It is completely covered with huge ferns, which are hiding the fact that this is an old burial ground. It is thought to be Swiss in origin somewhere around the 1870's. A Mr. Stan Raaflaub has done what he can to try and keep it in some sort of respectability. He is a man around his 40’s. The Cemetery has neither deed or access road but Mr. Raaflaub along with other members of the Lutheran Church near by are trying to raise monies to restore this old pioneer cemetery a memory of the Swiss brought out by Madame Vo Koebris’ attempt to settle Swiss im­migrants in the Magnetawan area 1873. This is one of those cemeteries that should receive a grant from the Ontario Cemetery Board to assist in putting the place in proper condition etc.

Disclaimer! The following interments were taken from the book, "These Our Ancestors Were" which was printed in 1974. There are several errors in the book and does not show any burials after 1974. The following listing is only as accurate as the printed book and has not been updated since 1974.


2019  
Muskoka, Parry Sound Genealogy Group
copyright